What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate
-Home Remedies-
Even Chocolate Labs Are Not Allowed To Eat Chocolate
I just got back from the vet where they had to pump my dog’s stomach! All she did was eat a little bit of chocolate… Is there anything that I can do next time at home so I don’t have to go through that whole thing again? I don't know what to do if dog eats chocolate.

As you’re probably aware, chocolate can be extremely poisonous for dogs. If you would like a refresher on that topic, you can read our article on “What Happens If My Dog Eats Chocolate?” here.

So, we’re not going to give any medical advice here for your pup. We think that in the case of a dog eating chocolate, really, the first thing that you need to do is give your veterinarian a call.

With that said, there are some things that you can do at home to try to help your furry friend out if they get into a sweet snack that they shouldn’t.
The First Thing You Should Do
Call Your Vet
Okay, I know you’re looking for home remedies, but let’s be honest for a moment.
If you found out that you had just eaten a large bowl of rat poison, you would likely be calling Poison Control and 911 as quickly as you could. The same should be true for your doggy friend.

If your dog has eaten any amount of chocolate, you need to call your vet to find out what to do next.

Your vet will ask you some basic questions about how much your dog ate, how big your dog is, how your dog is acting, and how long ago she ate the chocolate. Depending on your answers, your vet may tell you how you might be able to handle the situation on your own.

After hearing you out, your vet will then tell you what to do if dog eats chocolate.

You may need to take your dog in to see the vet for treatment, but that’s just sometimes what happens with poison issues.
If You Can't Make It To The Vet, There Are Some Things That You Can Try
Home Remedies
Okay, if you really need to know what to do if your dog eats chocolate, home remedies can potentially save his life if you are not near a vet or you think the situation is serious enough to act immediately.

What you’ll want to do is try to get your dog to vomit up any and all of the chocolate that she ate.

Because chocolate is poisonous for your dog, she may start vomiting all on her own. However, if she doesn’t start, then you can try to help the process along. And remember, depending on how much she ate, your dog can literally die from having eaten that chocolate! You need to take action IMMEDIATELY.

So, how do you get your dog to vomit? Start with a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide for small dogs, or a tablespoon for larger dogs. Generally speaking, you may need to give 1 Tablespoon for every 20 pounds that your dog weighs. HOWEVER, you should check with your vet before administering anything! If she tries to spit it out, don’t force too much down her throat. Too much hydrogen peroxide is also extremely poisonous!

Once your dog has swallowed some hydrogen peroxide, try to get your dog moving. Take a walk around your neighborhood a few times. The movement will cause her stomach to become upset more quickly, meaning that she way vomit all the sooner.

Also, if you have a yard, try to get your dog to eat some grass. Dogs know when something is upsetting their stomach and they will try to induce vomiting on their own. Grass is their go-to tool to help with that. Just let her do her thing with the grass if you need.

Beyond that, there really is not much else that you can do. Chocolate poisoning is no joking matter.

I am sorry to say, but the price that you will have to pay for the vet bill is just what it is if you want to save your friend’s life.
FB Comments Will Be Here (placeholder)
Related Articles:

What Happens If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?

Believe it or not, one of the biggest questions asked by dog owners on Google is "What happens if my dog eats chocolate?" Well, wonder no longer. We tell you what you need to know here.

Is White Chocolate Bad For Dogs?

There's been a lot of debate of the question "is white chocolate bad for dogs." This article will tell you the facts about how the different types of chocolate affect your favorite furry friend.

What Are The Symptoms Of A Dog Eating Chocolate?

Did you pup eat some chocolate? Now you're on the lookout for any issues. But just what are the symptoms of dog eating chocolate? There are quite a few, and they can be serious.

Can Dogs Die From Eating Chocolate?

The rumors are terrifying: Let your dog eat chocolate, and she will die! But is it true? Can dogs die from eating chocolate? The short answer is yes. But the long answer casts some light on the truth.
Please do not submit questions about medical problems here. Only licensed veterinarians can diagnose medical conditions. If you think that your pet is sick, injured or experiencing any kind of physical distress, please contact his veterinarian immediately. A delay in seeking proper veterinary care may worsen your pet's condition and put his life at risk.

Copyright 2018 - www.HealthyPetTips.com - All Rights Reserved
Terms  -  Privacy  -  Support