What Are The Symptoms Of Dog Eating Chocolate?
Is Your Pup Feeling Bad After Eating Some Chocolate? Here Are The Things You Need To Watch Out For
My dog ate some chocolate the other day, but I didn’t really see anything happen. What was I supposed to be looking for? Are there supposed to be symptoms or signs that something is wrong? What happens when a dog eats chocolate?

Thankfully everything was okay with you dog. Chocoloate poisoning is real and can cause a lot of problems for your pet.

Whenever your dog has eaten chocolate it needs to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, not everyone is familiar with the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs. Because they don’t know that this is serious, or what can happen, they oftentimes ignore it.

In this article, we would like to tell you about the symptoms that you are likely to see when your dog has eaten chocolate. Hopefully you never see the most severe symptoms, but please be aware that they do occur in certain situations.
How Long Until Symptoms Occur
One of the first things that happens when a dog eats chocolate is that the pet owner will wait around for about an hour to see if everything is okay. When the hour passes, they assume that everything is okay, and then go about their day.

But the real question here is: After your dog ate chocolate, how long until symptoms appear?

Unfortunately, chocolate poisoning in dogs can take anywhere from 4-24 hours for the dog to start showing symptoms! That’s right! You might not have any idea how badly your pooch is feeling until later that day or even until the next day.

However, once you see symptoms, they can be severe and it may be too late to do much of anything to save your companion.

That’s why, as soon as you realize that your dog has eaten chocolate, you need to take immediate steps to contact your vet or take action to get your dog to vomit what he has eaten. If you would like to read our brief discussion on some quick home remedies you can take when your dog has eaten chocolate, you can find that here. 
Even Just A Little Chocolate Is Enough To Put Your Pal Under The Weather
So, What Happens When A Dog Eats Chocolate?
As you may be aware, chocolate contains Theobromine and Caffeine. If you would like to know more about why chocolate is so problematic, you can find that discussion here.

These are both vasodilators as well as stimulants. This means that one of the first symptoms that you will see is that your dog all of a sudden has too much energy. He may start pacing around, panting, shaking, and twitching.

From there, your dog may start to exhibit signs of extreme thirst (from needing to urinate more frequently), and even possibly diarrhea.

Then, depending on the severity, your dog may then begin to have seizures, and may even pass out and fall into a coma.

At the most extreme end, your dog’s heart will stop, and she will die.

This is why chocolate poisoning is not a joking matter. It is also why you CANNOT wait until your dog begins to show symptoms of chocolate poisoning.

As soon as you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, you need to begin to take actions to try to help. The symptoms of dog eating chocolate are clear warning signs that something is wrong and that you need to take action immediately.

And again, here is the list of symptoms in list form for you:
  •  Hyperactivity
  •  Restlessness
  •  Rapid Breathing And Panting
  •  Tremors
  •  Elevated or Abnormal Heart Rate
  •  Vomiting
  •  Loss of Muscle Control
  •  Increased Thirst
  •  Seizures
  •  Coma
  •  Death
If you see any of these symptoms, especially after your dog has consumed chocolate, you MUST take actions to get in contact with your vet.
Don't Give In To The Doe-Eyes! Even A Little Chocolate Can Be Dangerous
FB Comments Will Be Here (placeholder)
Related Articles:

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate - Home Remedies

Did your dog get into that bag of bite size chocolate when you weren't looking? Now you're wondering What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate - Home Remedies might be your answer to save your furry friend

What Happens If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?

Believe it or not, one of the biggest questions asked by dog owners on Google is "What happens if my dog eats chocolate?" Well, wonder no longer. We tell you what you need to know here.

Is White Chocolate Bad For Dogs?

There's been a lot of debate of the question "is white chocolate bad for dogs." This article will tell you the facts about how the different types of chocolate affect your favorite furry friend.

Can Dogs Die From Eating Chocolate?

The rumors are terrifying: Let your dog eat chocolate, and she will die! But is it true? Can dogs die from eating chocolate? The short answer is yes. But the long answer casts some light on the truth.
Please do not submit questions about medical problems here. Only licensed veterinarians can diagnose medical conditions. If you think that your pet is sick, injured or experiencing any kind of physical distress, please contact his veterinarian immediately. A delay in seeking proper veterinary care may worsen your pet's condition and put his life at risk.

Copyright 2018 - www.HealthyPetTips.com - All Rights Reserved
Terms  -  Privacy  -  Support