We explain what Leptospirosis is in another article
, so we won’t go too deep into that so that we can hurry up and discuss the symptoms of Leptospirosis in dogs.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that is found in many animals. Dogs are more likely to come down with this illness when they live in wet, muddy, or marshy areas. However, it is also common in areas that experience heavy rainfalls.
The disease is caught when a dog comes into contact with water, mud, or even dirt that has been infected with the bacteria that causes Leptospirosis. Dogs will often catch this disease after swimming in, drinking or even just passing through infected water.
Infection can also occur when coming into contact with urine of an infected animal. This means that you need to be careful about letting your dog outside unattended if you live in a wet or muddy area. Other animals, such as rats and raccoons, may also be living in your yard and leaving this deadly disease around whenever they go to the bathroom.